Tuesday 19 April 2011

You can't keep a good lettuce down



On Saturday the lambs lettuce in number 1 Windowgrow had reached mammoth proportions, so we harvested it to enjoy alongside chilli and naan breads. I harvested by cutting (so that the leaves will grow back) but was pleased as punch to see that they seemed to have grown back by Monday evening! You just can't keep a good lettuce down...

Back to Saturday, the leaves were as delicious as only a lettuce eaten within minutes of harvesting can be and were the perfect fresh counter-balance to the rich chilli and a bottle of absolutely delicious Argentinian Vinalba Malbec from the lovely chaps at Majestic wine warehouse.

Chilli can be a controversial dish and at the risk of causing an uprising I will admit that I don't put much chilli in my chilli as I prefer spice to heat - better for the wine too; so for me it's cumin, fennel, coriander, cinnamon, black pepper, some chilli and good dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment